Belated Review: The Ghost Writer

When I first saw the trailer to this film I was intrigued.  I enjoy films with plots involving writers or English teachers, so this one seemed right up my alley, but then I read a few reviews and changed my mind.

While at a film screening for another movie, my screening companions told me they loved The Ghost Writer and that I should see it.  I finally got the chance last weekend during a free preview of Showtime on Demand.  So I sat back on Saturday afternoon and watched the film.

Sadly, I should have listened to the critics.

I found the film to be too slow-moving to make any impact once the truths were revealed.  There were also plenty of questions in relation to the plot holes by the end of it.

Sadly I don't recommend this film to anyone unless you're a big Ewan MacGregor fan.  Pierce Brosnan fans shouldn't bother as he is barely in it and what he does contribute is minimal at best.

The best thing to come out of this film is the posting on the IMDB message board titled "5 Things I learned from The Ghost Writer".  It's so true and hilarious.  Started in April of last year, it's still going strong with users adding more and more to what has become not five, but 37 things learned from watching  the film.  Click here to read it.  I would just add the following to the list:

38.  When tasked with only two weeks to rewrite a large manuscript, don't spend any time doing it despite feeling stressed out about it, but manage to pull it off on time.

39.  When you're handed another person's manuscript in a yellow bag and it's stolen from you in a mugging on the street, don't question the interesting coincidence of the news leak that happens later on, nor mention the fact that the manuscript was stolen to the person who gave it to you.  In fact, never bring it up again except to your agent after the mugging.

40.  When your politician husband - who relies on you to help him make decisions - is involved in a scandal and is speaking at press conferences, don't bother to go with him and stand by his side.

41.  If you're an ex-Prime Minister who is under scrutiny by the world, sit by a large window of your vacation home with your team so that everyone can see what's going on via helicopter.

42.  Take the time to show off the security system to the film audience, but never use it when it matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV Detour - Midsomer Murders: The Decline and Fall of Ben Jones

Film Review: Tied to a Chair

Film Review: Hitchcock