DVD Review: Bridesmaids

Those who read this blog should have a sense right now that this really isn't my kind of film.  I really don't care for crude humor, partly because it's easy and predictable (and not to mention disgusting).

Many people compared this film to The Hangover, and while I probably will never see that film, I can find a better comparison.  How about a prolonged Saturday Night Live sketch.  This is what it felt like.

Some of the scenes were very familiar to me, having seen several in the TV ads and trailers, while others have been played out before either by the cast of SNL or by another show some 10-20 years before.  It was as if Kristin Wiig took a collection of sketches she wrote involving one character and linked them to this one theme and tossed them into this film.  Or maybe, as suggested by Leonard Maltin, the director just told the cast to improvise and this is what we have.

I'm not a fan of Murphy's Law films.  The idea of "whatever can go wrong will for a laugh" for 2 hours doesn't appeal to me.  I can only watch that in small doses and even then I can't wait for the resolution

I like my comedies to have some substance and pacing.  Sadly this one didn't.  Surely it was enough to have the British woman take advantage of her tourist visa to milk her stay in the US, but no....  Let's make her completely idiotic on top of that (calling her dim-witted would have been too kind).

The dueling microphones at the engagement party had a familiar ring to it, as did the over-medicated, frightened airline passenger who thinks that wearing sunglasses will hide the fact that they're sneaking back into first class again.

There was also the predictability that the lead would fall on her face in front of her competition on multiple occasions... but really?  A cabin retreat for a bachelorette party?  Really?  Is she really not of this century?

I do know that many people loved this film, so I know I'm in the minority on this one.  Hey, I didn't care for Wedding Crashers or Sweetest Thing either.  So that tells you something about me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Hitchcock

TV Detour - Midsomer Murders: The Decline and Fall of Ben Jones

Belated Positive Reviews