Film Review: Quartet

I love the British.  I do.  I also love Dustin Hoffman.  And, I also have seen plenty of operas.  So I was expecting a truly delightful film.  Sadly, it just didn't have the punch I would have expected from a British comedy.

For a funny film I'd recommend The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (see my review).  It was lighthearted, moving and funny.  This one had some really great moments including and not only the musical performances, but some of the comedy.  Sadly, the jokes only elicited a mild chuckle from me and nothing that had me doubled over.

Highlights include Tom Courtney's character Reginald connecting with young kids by comparing rap to opera, and the ending credits which showed old photographs of the opera singers who appear in the film and the opera company they performed with.  And for the actors who aren't opera singers, they had similar photographs that included one of their hit performances on stage or film.

I think Dustin Hoffman played it on the safe end.  His cinematography was pretty basic.  It could just be he that because he's a new director, he's still learning the finer things.  Perhaps his next film will be more daring.

I recommend this film for opera buffs and anyone who enjoys watching a group of classic, British actors on screen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Hitchcock

TV Detour - Midsomer Murders: The Decline and Fall of Ben Jones

Belated Review: The Dukes