Belated Reviews: Defiance, The Wrestler and Nothing But the Truth

Film: Defiance

Synopsis: Based on a true story of three Jewish brothers who find themselves concealing 100+ Jews in the woods of Belarus during WWII, while butting heads with each other as to whether they should fight or survive.

My review: It was a bit too commercial for my taste, though the director (Edward Zwick) had said he did that to lure people who might not know Daniel Craig as anyone other than James Bond. He thought it would be a good way to send a message to the audience about these people.

In the end it only made me like the film less.  Pass on it.

--------------------------------------------

Film:  The Wrestler

Starring: Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood

Synopsis: It's about an aging wrestler (Mickey Rourke), who has a heart attack and has to come to terms with the fact that he will have to retire from wrestling or die. The struggle for him is that he has no idea what to do with his life, as wrestling is all he knows.

My review:  I'm not a professional wrestling fan, but The Wrestler held my interest.  Overall the film is very good and you end up enjoying the wrestling scenes (except for one really bloody one, where a few people actually left the theatre. I closed my eyes during it and let it pass).

--------------------------------------------

Film: Nothing But the Truth

Starring: Kate Beckinsale, Vera Farmiga, Alan Alda and Matt Dillon.

Synopsis: When a newspaper reporter uncovers the identity of a covert CIA operative and reports on what she believes was a government cover-up, she gets embroiled a battle with the federal government when she's ordered to reveal her source.

My review: While it dragged a little at times, I thought the movie was well done and the acting great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Review: Hitchcock

TV Detour - Midsomer Murders: The Decline and Fall of Ben Jones

Belated Positive Reviews