Belated Review: The Brothers Bloom

I wanted to like it this film, but in the end I didn't.

This was a movie about a couple of con men, this time two brothers. One was the true master of the plan, while the other reluctantly carried it out with him.

It starred Adrien Brody, Mark Rufalo and Rachel Weisz.

My problem with the film was that the whole thing was a con. There were no moments of revelation - not even at the end - no moment of reality, though they seemed to tease us with it from time to time.

Also, my biggest gripe about the movie was the sloppy feel of it. There were at least two situations in the film that were never resolved, and writer/director admitted to us at the screening that he felt he didn't need to resolve it.  He said that the audience could figure it out on their own. I disagreed with him on that.  While I don't mind that concept, not everything can be imagined by the audience.

I like films that make you think and leave things to the imagination, but this one felt a bit lazy.  Just leaving a scene out isn't enough. There has to be something worth talking about.  Leaving a hole isn't the same as an open ended film or dropping a hint that could go in any direction.

He purposely omitted key plot-points because he confessed that he couldn't come up with a good way to effectively present them.  There was another instance in the film where he raised our curiosity about something in a scene, but never answered the question.  And there's one or two more instances that cried for an explanation, but we didn't get one.


I wanted to like this film. There are hilarious moments with a Japanese girl, played by Rinko Kikuchi, who likes to blow things up. They call her Bang Bang. To me she was the funniest, best character in the film, but I was the only one in the theater who laughed at her jokes.

Unless you like the eye candy of the cast, I would pass on this film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV Detour - Midsomer Murders: The Decline and Fall of Ben Jones

Film Review: Tied to a Chair

Belated Positive Reviews