Film Review: The Descendants

I remember watching a young George Clooney early in his career in several TV appearances.  I liked a few of them, including a failed TV series called - believe it or not - ER.  But it was a different ER.  This one had a slash through he middle (E/R) and it was a comedy.

Flash forward years later and the other ER - the one everyone knows about - launches his career into the stratosphere.  Does anyone remember him in Facts of Life?

I've seen a few of Clooney's post ER films and one thing I've noticed is that while many are quite enjoyable, and he does give a convincing performance overall, there is this sameness between the characters.  It's as if he's playing the same character in different situations.  His narration is also a bit stiff.  In Up in the Air and The Descendants, it's as if the same character has been transplanted from one film to the next.  When the narration started for The Descendants, I wondered if his character portrayal on camera would be the same as Up in the Air.  Fortunately, I was wrong.

Still Clooney isn't as animated as I remember him from the 1980's.  Despite being somewhat convincing as Matt King in this film, I still felt he was a bit weak at times.  Fortunately, the rest of the cast is terrific and really carry the movie.

I think Clooney is at his best when he can play off others, and it's the rest of the cast who shine in this film.

The trailer is actually funnier than the movie itself, but it has some amusing moments and some equally cringe-worthy ones as well.  Still the film is worth a rental at the very least.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV Detour - Midsomer Murders: The Decline and Fall of Ben Jones

Film Review: Hitchcock

Film Review: Tied to a Chair